Lining your walls with lining paper before you hang wallpaper is vital to a smooth finish for the walls or roof. Lining paper can help:
- Disguise imperfections that are small the outer lining of walls
- Add another layer of insulation to your living space
- Counter wallpaper shrinking when it is hung regarding the wall surface, avoiding gaps involving the lengths of paper
- Decrease the possibility of spots and markings in the wall surface showing throughout your wallpaper or fresh coating of paint
- Provide a barrier against penetrating wet and mould
- Protect flammable evolutionwriters prices areas in the eventuality of a fire (seek out ‘class zero’ fire-rated liner documents)
In this guide we’ll explain just how to;
- Mark a guideline for the very first piece of liner paper
- Measure and cut liner paper
- Apply adhesive straight to paper that is liningwe’re making use of paste the paper liner paper)
- Hang lining paper horizontally on walls
- Hang lining paper on ceilings
How to pick paper that is lining
Whenever shopping for lining paper there are certain facts to consider, to obtain the many type that is suitable of paper for the task.
Key variants in kinds of lining paper are:
- Level – the thickness associated with the liner paper
- Application – the approach to hanging, with various approaches to use the adhesive
Lining paper comes in various thicknesses, referred to as grades. The grades are normally taken for 800 (thinnest) to 2000 (thickest).
The grade you decide on depends on the health of the walls. A lining that is thin low-grade paper enables you to protect hairline cracks within the wall’s plastering. In the event that wall surface is in a poor condition, a thicker 2000 grade lining paper will likely to be expected to help cover pitting and much more noticeable plastering flaws.
As it is thick enough to cover imperfections and block staining if you’re not sure which grade to use, we recommend the 1400 option.
Our lining paper range includes standard liner paper which you apply adhesive to, or paste the wall surface paper that is lining. Paste the wall surface may be more straightforward to hang while you use the adhesive into the wall surface as opposed to the paper, and that means you don’t have heavy folded paper to hold. For paste the wall surface lining paper, we suggest utilizing a paint roller to make use of the adhesive into the wall surface.
Because of this project we’re utilizing paste the paper liner paper, which means you use the adhesive to your lining paper before hanging.
The adhesive needed additionally varies based on whether you’re hanging paste the paper of paste the wall surface lining paper.
The width of lining paper may differ between 500 and 1000millimetres (mm). With wider liner paper you may want to buy less rolls, nonetheless it could also be more cumbersome to hold.
Just how to determine simply how much liner paper is required
When your rolls of lining paper will be the size that is same a standard wallpaper roll (between 530 and 560mm wide and 10m in length). Utilize our calculator to observe how numerous rolls of lining paper you want.
In the event your chosen lining paper is a size that is differentlength or width), you’ll want to do a little fundamental calculations to work through what amount of rolls you may need.
Either way, very very first gauge the areas which will be lined in metres, making an email regarding the size and height of every wall. Then determine any large obstacles that won’t be covered, like windows and doors – since these areas is supposed to be subtracted.
To manually work out the wide range of rolls required, make use of this easy calculation:
Step one: determine the size of lining paper needed for one wall surface.
Divide the height for the wall surface (WH) by the width associated with roll of liner paper (LPW) to obtain the amount of lining paper required for the wall surface (LPL).
E.g. 2.4m / 0.56m = 4.3m (rounded up)
Step two: determine the total amount required for all walls.
Increase this figure because of the border (P) associated with space to obtain the length that is total of paper when it comes to room (LPT).
E.g. 4.3m x 15m = 64.5m
Step three: Calculate the section of each home and screen.
Increase the door width (DW) because of the home height (DH) to obtain the part of the home (DA). Increase the window width (WW) by the screen height (WH) to obtain the certain section of the screen (WA).
Do that for several hinged windows and doors.
E.g. Door 1 is 2.05m x 0.9m = 1.85m Door 2 is 2.05m x 0.9m = 1.85m
E.g. Window 1 is 1.5m x 1m = 1.5m
Step four: determine the area that is total of windows and doors.
Include together areas for many doors and windows to obtain the total area (TA).
E.g. 1.85m + 1.85m + 1.5m = 5.2m
Action 5: determine the total area excluding doors and windows.
Subtract the full total from step four through the total in step two to obtain the length that is total of paper required for the space (T), excluding the doors and windows.
E.g. 64.5m – 5.2m = 59.3m
Step 6: include 10% additional for cutting.
Grow the sum total from action 5 by 1.1, that will include 10% to permit for extra that you’ll hang and cut down ( ag E).
E.g. 59.3m x 1.1 = 65.23m
Action 7: determine the final amount of rolls required.
Divide the sum total from Step 6 by the amount of the roll (L) and locate to offer the final number of rolls needed (TR).
E.g. 65.23m / 20m = 3.26 (round as much as 4 rolls)
You shall require
- Lining paper
- Wallpaper adhesive – also referred to as wallpaper paste
- Versatile filler – if needed to fill any gaps
- 80 grit sandpaper – also referred to as medium sandpaper – to fill out any gaps, if needed
- Sanding block
- Little nail – if utilizing a chalk line on a roof
- Dust sheets – either polythene or cloth dirt sheets are usable with this task, although polythene may be slippery whenever utilized over difficult floor
- Action work or ladder platform
- Wallpaper smoother
- Wallpaper brush that is pasting
- Pasting brush – not necessary if utilizing paste the wall surface lining paper
- Roller and tray – could be used to use paste the wall adhesive right to walls or ceilings
- Tape measure
- Wallpaper scissors
- Large sponge
- Seam roller
- Chalk line – if hanging liner paper on a roof
- Claw hammer – if hanging liner paper on a roof (for chalk line finger finger nails)
- Filling knife – if needed
- Utility knife
- Long rule
- Wallpaper cutting guide
- Decorators coveralls
- Security goggles – if pasting a roof
- Dust mask – to put on if sanding
There could be a couple of steps that are preparatory beginning your liner paper task to greatly help prepare the space for enhancing.
When your walls are freshly plastered, making use of wall sealer (also referred to as wall surface size) will seal the wall surface, stopping it from taking in the wallpaper adhesive. It will help the paper stick to the wall surface and reduces the opportunity that the liner paper will shrink. Connect with the wall surface using a pasting brush or paint roller before you hang your lining paper. Proceed with the item directions for assistance with just how long you ought to wait after application before hanging the liner paper.
Before you hang the liner paper, we advice eliminating any current levels of wallpaper. Our guide to eliminating wallpaper will walk you through the actions to stripping your walls back once again to get yourself a blank canvas ready for lining.
Before you can get started with hanging the liner paper, clear your space of furniture. This can allow it to be simple to move about without obstacles getting into the real means and avoids mess or damage through the paste.
Our guide on planning walls for painting contains steps for clearing the area, cleansing and repairing walls and covering light sockets and fixings. These steps additionally make an application for planning an area before hanging paper that is lining.
Constantly make sure that the area is dry and clean.
Then the walls after if you are hanging lining paper on the ceilings and walls of your room, we recommend lining the ceiling first and. This gives a neater finish around the sides. Jump in to the ‘just how to hang liner paper on a ceiling’ before going back to the walls parts.
Safety and health first
- Keep glues and scissors away from reach of kids
- Constantly guarantee ventilation that is good application and drying of wallpaper pastes/adhesives
- Don’t switch on the electricity if paste drips onto a fitting that is electrical. Watch for it to dry up and, if required, look for assistance from an electrician that is qualified
- If wallpapering a roof, we advise having a helper to guide as you shall be working at height.